Classic reddit wants to support #BlackLivesMatter but does so in the most ridiculous way possible, by requesting a George Floyd Funko POP.
While it’s been great to have a powerful laptop that can handle gaming in 144 FPS while being mobile, the Acer software and initial configuration has led to heat issues that most Amazon reviews agree with are a big downside to the laptop. Through lots of forum posts I was able to fix most of the issues so it doesn’t overheat and start throttling the CPU during gaming – which was leading to slowdowns and really hot W,A,S,D keys.
Predator Sense is the most important program to run if you’re gaming on a Predator laptop. It monitors temperatures, sets fan speeds, overclocks the GPU, and allows “coolboost” which allows the fans to go faster for more cooling.
Unfortunately, mine started saying “discreet GPU is idle” after updating BIOS, which lots of people have posted about and there is no clear fix for. What worked for me was factory resetting the entire laptop:
How to Factory Reset:
After doing Windows Updates and updating my graphics drivers, Predator Sense is working for me now as you can see in the screenshot below. I just keep it open all the time, and Windows 10 loads it automatically since it was open when I shut off the computer. These settings work best for me, auto fans, CoolBoost on, and overclocked to “Faster” – though you can turn on “Turbo” if you really want more frames at the cost of more heat.
The next problem with these laptops is that the CPU creates a bunch of heat and forces the computer to throttle its speeds, really inhibiting gaming. We don’t want that. Most of the time it’s the GPU that’s the bottleneck in gaming, so the CPU is just there creating a bunch of heat. Undervolting lowers the power coming into the CPU, slowing it down at performance peaks so create much less heat. (Here’s a full guide to ThrottleStop)
Always set your CPU Core and CPU Cache to the same undervolt (I’m using -148.4), and I’m also trying a -40 undervolt on the GPU.
To set ThrottleStop to always open with Windows (it doesn’t seem to open if you have it open at shutdown like Predator Sense), use the Task Scheduler to open it, as described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107
You can search around for other people’s settings, but hopefully this will keep your heat down, especially from the CPU while gaming so that it doesn’t throttle and cause slowdowns. There is a concept called the “silicon lottery” regarding your CPU, thermal paste, and even air flow inside the laptop case: Everyone’s heat signature will be different even with the same settings and load, and some chips can’t handle the same undervoltin without blue screening. Gaming laptop components are rating for high heat, around 90-95°C, but then they’ll need to throttle really quickly to keep from melting. So I’d recommend backing off some of these cooling settings after you play for a while and notice that your CPU or GPU can get a little more performance without hitting throttling temps. So test out different values to maximize performance, even if you crash / blue screen a couple times to find them.
I was just fixing the ZPFTH site and realized that our Twitter account stopped auto-tweeting when I liked a YouTube video. I actually liked that feature because sometimes a small video maker would enjoy seeing themselves mentioned on Twitter, and it shares more funny and interesting stuff – which this site is all about anyway.
Fortunately, IFTTT has this nice applet – Automatically Tweet the videos you like which lets you simply connect your YouTube account, your Twitter account, and it tweets your likes as you like videos with a cool little “thumbs up” emoji.
I thought I’d share my experience, since there’s so much bad information out there about how to automatically tweet when you like a YouTube video. Enjoy!
my last two braincells just living the life
Uh, ok. First, I just wanted to say from the whole team how absolutely floored we are with the reception so far. I was personally hoping for something to match at least half of the original game: apparently we’re doing a LOT better. It’s absolutely surreal – thank you all again.
We want to make sure the community is aware we are listening and in touch, so for the format of this post and subsequent ones in the future I want to try something new. Consider Development Thoughts to be an honest brain dump of the team. Excuse us if it’s a bit scattered in formatting.
Overall, we’re ecstatic with the gameplay of Risk of Rain 2. There are some crashes we are trying our best to address, especially on game boot-up.
A goal we are currently trying to figure out is the most appropriate Customer Support path going forward. We’ve been helping players manually, but a lot of players are falling through the cracks. DMing people through Discord isn’t the most efficient. Will update everyone with info once it comes.
Another goal is a general roadmap for the game: what does the future of Risk of Rain 2 look like? How frequent are patches, compared to Content Updates? Will they be major chunks of content or trickling in over time? What would the community feel would keep the game the most enjoyable throughout Early Access?
We have internally finished a patch to address a lot of initial feedback and critical bugs – it is in QA and hopefully available to everyone early next week.
• Happy with progression rate for classes – a touch faster than intended but still OK
• Happy with Rainstorm difficulty – haven’t seen much of Monsoon content to know. Drizzle is very easy but also fine.
• Pleasantly surprised with people saying performance is good – have to narrow down why it runs poorly on some high-end machines
• Happy with in-run decision making (3D Printers, Mountain Shrine, Order Shrine, etc). Should try to brainstorm more big decision points like this..
• Happy that new teleporter event rules don’t seem upsetting to RoR1 players
• Curious about content distribution – are players progressing through unlocks too fast? How long do the more difficult item unlocks take?
• Very happy with secret progressions – players are finding it at the ideal rate
• Noting lots of feedback about 4+ player lobbies. Have to consider best way forward – most likely would be a private game only option with a disclaimer.
• Noting sometimes monsters get stuck behind a closed door on Wetland Aspect
• Noting people like going fast
• Noting a lot of Quickplay Lobbies have an insane time to launch of 4000+ seconds
• Noting people like ruining their build with Shrine of Order or 3D printer
• Noting people want to be able to automatically continue sprinting after rolling
• Noting people don’t enjoy getting blasted as soon as they enter a stage
===Stuff we are working on===
• Corrupted save file preventing people from playing is very high priority to fix – this is addressed in the Monday patch.
• Happy with (mostly) class balance outside of MUL-T being a tad too strong. I think it’s worth noting here that we have a stat per attack called it’s “proc coefficient”, and it essentially defines how strong or frequent procs happen on an on-hit basis. MUL-T’s nailgun has a low proc coefficient per nail of 0.4 compared to most character’s 1.0, so he isn’t proccing stuff a ton faster than other characters.
• Very happy with Discord community aspect, but may need management help as it grows.
• Imp Boss is a bit grindy, same with Worm
• Some concerns about cheaters in Prismatic Trial. Excited for when seed rolls over.
• Hearing loud & clear about Teleporter being hard to see – want to make it still an aspect of the game without it feeling like a mistake. Players are not really noticing the passive particles – will start with a soft approach first.
Please let us know if we missed anything – our brains are a little frazzled right now. Again, thank you all SO much for the amazing launch day, and an enormous shout out to Gearbox for their absolutely great support and efforts. Crazy.
-Hopoo Games Team
Snowball finds this cement work to be mildly infuriating. #labsofinstagram #mildlyinfuriating
IM HERE FOR IT ALL. DND BEYOND TWITCH EXTENSIONS 😍🔥👌🏽
I made this for you Amercia
“Does your storm drain spark joy?”
I’ve had these for over a year, the battery still holds up, the button controls are awesome, and they’re still holding up. Def recommend. https://amzn.to/2WsxvNM
High quality glass Christmas ornament for the teacher in your life